Saturday, October 1, 2011

I know I'm weird...but...

Okay, so I know that I am weird, but the truth is I am so much happier in dark and rainy weather. Okay so its not raining today, but I am so crossing my fingers that it does.

I am not a morning person, but I woke up to the dark skies, and crisp cool weather and I was (a phrase my mom uses quite frequently) "Happier than a pig in poop" I got up all chipper, and my kids and I were out the door to the grocery store picking up ingredients for all kinds of yummy soups and breads. I love this weather soooo much...I think I've said that already, but SERIOUSLY....SO HAPPY right now.

I guess this time of this year just brings up all kinds of wonderful memories for me. When we lived in Adak (island on the aleutian chain for those of you who don't know), the weather was like this a lot...all year round. Living on Adak was one of the best experiences of my life. I lived there from 4th grade to 8th grade (which in the Navy is a long time to live in one place). Its funny because we all complained about living there while we were there, but I don't know a single one of my friends that wouldn't like to visit that moment in their lives again even if it was for just one day.

We were surrounded by some of the nicest and most loving people there like the Kiilsholms, the Hansens, the Moores, the Finks, and the Bruffs...oh and we can't forget Miss Mary Lou. They were all like our family.

I think that is why this time of year mean so much to me. The fall air, and the smells of soups and all kinds of comfort food, and just the general feeling of anticipation that comes with knowing that Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are on their way.

I am now trying to create those kinds of memories for my children. I try to have something yummy going when they get home whether it be fresh bread, or pumpkin spice bread, or hot chocolate waiting for them.

We decorate for Fall here, (not so much Halloween), and we have our special Thanksgiving decorations that we break out every year, and we have a fiber optic turkey that we call the "Tacky Turkey" that the girls LOVE that comes out every year.

Don't even get me started on my Christmas obsession...that is a blog all in itself, and is the time of year the my husband is an absolute SAINT for putting up with my Christmas mania. If he'd let me I'd hire actors, and farm animals for a living nativitiy on our front yard, but that man has to put his foot down some where, and with five Christmas trees in the house I think he has been a pretty good sport.

So I guess for now I will be signing off to go and have a wonderful cup of coffee, curl up on my couch and read a good book, and pray for rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment